Andrew Percy MP

Andrew Percy MP

Member of Parliament for Brigg & Goole and the Isle of Axholme

Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week

Andrew is raising awareness about gas safety as part of Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week.

Andrew explains, "As residents may remember, this is an issue that I have raised awareness about previously. As we enter the colder winter months more people are beginning to heat their homes which means there is a greater risk of carbon monoxide leaks. As such, installing a carbon monoxide detector will help detect a carbon monoxide leak and keep families safe this winter."

What is Carbon Monoxide? 

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous gas which has no taste, colour or smell. A carbon monoxide leak can make an individual feel seriously ill and it can kill quickly without warning.

Causes of a carbon monoxide leak

A carbon monoxide leak can come from many home appliances such as oil and gas boilers, gas fireplaces, gas cookers and other appliance.

What are the signs of a carbon monoxide leak?

Carbon monoxide can be produced when poorly maintained, incorrectly fitted or badly repaired appliances do not burn gas completely. Look out for the following signs that could indicate that a gas appliance is not working correctly, and CO may be present in the house:

  • Floppy yellow or orange flame on your gas hob, rather than a crisp blue flame
  • Dark, sooty staining on or around gas appliances
  • Pilot lights that frequently blow out
  • Increased condensation inside window

You can find more safety tips online here:

PHOTO - Andrew previously attended a Parliamentary drop-in session on the issue of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

Posted in Articles on